Wednesday, 30 November 2011

evaluation..

This project was called Orimorphosis, it was combining the concept of origami and metamorphosis together. The brief asked me to design a garment inspired by metamorphosis with an origami take on that. Metamorphosis means a ‘transformation’ so are garments where expected to transform on the body to create our own twist on metamorphosis. Also in the brief it say I have to create my own textile sample inspired by folds and shapes in origami and taking patterns and textures from my primary and secondary research.
At the start of the project I looked at a wide range of metamorphosis ideas for example the metamorphosis of; insects, fashion, technology, regeneration and a city. But none of them inspired me enough to build a whole concept to design my garment. So I looked at more designers work and artists to help me come up with an interesting new concept. I looked at the artists Jake and Dinos Chapman, there work was shocking and very thought provoking and that inspired me to create a concept which also provoked a reaction and thought. I started to look at the idea of extreme body conditions and the transformation of there body and peoples opinion towards them. I linked the idea of extreme body conditions to mythical creatures which the idea of myth, demon or god and how people perceive there lives.
During my textile lessons I tried to explore as many techniques to help me create a sample which expressed the texture and lives of the people with these conditions. I explored samples which distressed the material more as I thought it would relate more. I tried burning, slashing, pulling the threads and sheering elastic. They were all successful but my sheering elastic stood out from the rest with its random, unusual, individual pattern which will always be different. I thought it related to extreme body conditions the most so I chose to develop this sample further.
I then moved onto developing ideas for my final design I started with folding paper shapes taking from my research into interesting shapes I could use in design development stage. I also manipulated old clothes on the stand to explore with the ideas of fastening and how maybe they could be change while worn to go through a metamorphosis. I designed many design from these and had to subtract and decide key elements from these designs I thought were successful and would carry on development. I choose to carry on the idea of a shirt, long skirt, hood and scooped neck line.
I then developed my textile sample ready for deciding what I will use on my final piece. I tried sheering on a range of material to see what effect it creates. I wanted a knobbly effect and some materials didn’t give me that so I sorted my materials down to chiffon, georgette, satin and leather. I then had to think about the look of the garment and how its ment to be beautiful and elegant and leather and satin all over the garment wouldn’t portray the delicate look I’m after so I chose georgette as it firmer then chiffon and looks subtle and elegant on the skin. I then looked into patterns into the elastic I could do to create different effects and I chose the spiral pattern which creates more of a raised area due to the tension in the elastic. I then explored adding extra material in adding more texture with sewing pearls on and adding them under the material during the sewing process, they were all successful but made the sheering elastic to bulking and less delicate which I wanted. So I decided I was going for a spiral sheering pattern on georgette material.
text 4.bmpSo after choosing my sample I decided to develop my designs, focusing on choosing one for my final garment. Knowing my final textile sample now it was easier to design and include this in. I explored long dresses, jumpsuits shorts but nothing was working for me. So I had to think more about my concept to lead my design. I thought of the idea of large areas of bulging material, lots of layers of texture and the idea of exaggerated areas of the body. I then developed these 30 times to final come up with my final idea.
I did have other successful Ideas but to me they didn’t portray the message I wanted to. I took elements from these designs like; intense areas of textile and the idea of a simple design the one I had chosen had the strongest concept behind it which formed the design for me.
This is the idea behind my final design:
“I have chosen this design as I thought the concept behind the dress was the strongest. My concept for this project was looking at magical transformations and looking at the relation between people with extreme body condition and how some are seen as magical gods and some are see as ‘freaks’ and not ‘normal’. I want to change people’s perception of normal where it just seems to cover people with a perfect image and expand it to include the person underneath. When I was researching into extreme body conditions the most occurring phrase I read was ‘I just want to be seen as normal’ this was the phrase that inspired the design of my garment. So to show this in my design I am going to make what is seen as a ‘normal’ blouse pattern a ‘normal’ skirt pattern then by applying my textile techniques which represent the extreme body conditions, magically transform from the normal patterns into something beautiful, more interesting than just an ordinary normal pattern so completing its metamorphosis”
I think my final design is very successful and has a strong design concept and meaning behind it. All the elements work together to form a detailed, delicate striking design which I wanted. The only part which isn’t so successful about my design is the range of material I just I could of explored using a shiner material for my skirt as a contrast maybe but at the time I thought it would work better all in georgette, it still does work very well and looks very elegant but maybe I could of thought about my use of material more. If I was to do this project again I would maybe focus in on my final concept earlier as I had a lot of irrelevant research in my sketchbook confusing readers at the start. Also I would spend longer thinking about my production time table, as during the production of my final piece I hadn’t planed what I was going to do very well which made me become behind slightly so I was always catching up but to solve that next time I will create a more detailed production plan so the process is more organised.

No comments:

Post a Comment